About the Mural Project
To celebrate the tenth season of DownStreet Art programming, Berkshire Cultural Resource Center (BCRC) is commissioning one to two new murals for DownStreet Art 2017. DownStreet Art invites artists interested in community engagement and social practice to work with the North Adams community and collaboratively realize a new mural that will join existing murals by artists including Spanish collective Muralismo Publico, Egyptian street artist Alaa Awad, Jarvis Rockwell, Corwin Levi and others. Of particular interest are concepts that reflect North Adams’ physical or cultural landscape, contributing to a local sense of place. A successful proposal will present a strong aesthetic and conceptual point of view, addressing community engagement strategies as well as the constraints of realizing a community project within four to six weeks. Following the selection process, DownStreet Art will match selected artists with interested community groups.
This call is open to established and emerging artists, or an artist team, with priority given to artists who have demonstrated experience in managing a project of this magnitude.
Selected artists or artist teams will be paid a $5000 fee inclusive of design, travel, fabrication and material costs. In addition, DownStreet Art will provide scaffolding, ladders, and a limited number of rollers and paintbrushes. DownStreet Art welcomes proposals from local and non-local artists alike and will provide housing if needed, in the form of a homestay, to selected artists or artist teams.
About the Artist Fee
- 50% to be paid upon approval of final concept
- 50% to be paid upon completion of mural and submission of final paperwork, including full materials list and maintenance plan
- Current CV or resume and artist bio, highlighting qualifications relevant to social practice as well as mural design/public art
- At least six images of past work, demonstrating a creative approach that aligns with this project
- Written narrative (one to two pages) describing a mural concept as well as a plan for community engagement in mural design and creation
- Illustration(s) of proposed mural concept
- March 31 (11:59 pm) – Proposals due
- April 15 – Notification of selected artists
- June to September – Mural completion and unveiling