Wed July 11 – Sat July 28, 2012
MASS MoCA, North Adams, MA
Daily 4:30 pm recitals free with gallery admission
About the Festival
For over 10 years, the Bang on a Can Summer Music Festival at MASS MoCA has presented thousands of hours of music and hosted hundreds of talented musicians. Join us for three weeks of contemporary music featuring live music every day: daily gallery recitals, free community performances, kids events, two major concerts, and more.
Special Upcoming Events
- July 11, 1:30 and 4:30 PM: FREE (with admission) gallery recitals begin!
- July 12, 8:30 PM: live performance of Michael Gordon’sTimber at the Chalet. Curious? Watch a preview here.
- July 25, 7:00 PM: Bang on a Can at Windsor Lake, North Adams
Inspired by the art on display, the faculty and fellows of Bang on a Can perform in the galleries twice a day. The earlier recitals at 1:30 PM can pop up anywhere on our campus, so prepare to be surprised! The 4:30 PM recitals are more structured (but still casual) and fill the galleries with extraordinary music. Take in the whole performance or just a portion.
- July 11: David Cossin, percussion
- July 12: Vicky Ray, piano
- July 13: Ashley Bathgate, cello plus others
- July 14: John Cage’s Sonatas and Interludes by Vicky Chow on piano
- July 16: Todd Reynolds
- July 18: Ken Thompson
- July 19: David Lang, Child
- July 20: Gregg August, bass; Nick Photinos, cello
- July 21: the music of Philip Glass
- July 23: festival composer premieres
- July 24: the music of Julia Wolfe
- July 27: cello extravaganza – trios, quartets, and octets